Get on the Cloud with Tmail & Windows Live
Ever since the early days of the TeachNet Learning Blog many of our contributors have written extensively about the benefits of using cloud based services in education. Not alone are the tools on offer easy to use, offer flexibility and functionality beyond their desktop equivalents, most popular services are freely available so for cash strapped schools it’s a real no brainer. In this context the TeachNet team are excited to now be in a position to offer powerful cloud based tools free of charge to interested Irish teachers and schools. Following the redevelopment of our web portal we are encouraging interested primary and post-primary teachers to join the TeachNet Community of practice. As part of this community you will be kept up to date with relevant news relating to ICT in Irish education and updates on all TeachNet activities. In addition members will receive free hosted online space (powered by Windows Live) including, email, blogging, online storage and Office Online. Some of key features available are below…
- Choose your own TeachNet email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with 10GB of storage.
- View, edit and share Office documents such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel for free with Office Live Web Apps.
- Store your documents and resources in a safe place using our SkyDrive with 25GB of free online storage.
- Coordinate schedules with your colleagues and friends using the shared calendars.
- Add people to your network and stay in touch more easily.
- Sync all of the above with any web-enabled mobile device.
We are also encouraging school staffs to sign up for this free service so they can use these cloud based tools for administration, communication and collaboration across their schools.
In addition we have developed a new TeachNet interactive online course designed so participants can get the most out of Tmail and Windows Live. This should be going live shortly through our virtual learning environment and will be freely available for a limited time. For more on this please watch for updates on teachnet.ie
So why wait, sign-up today @ http://www.teachnet.ie/SitePages/Register_Now.aspx
Please Note: TeachNet membership is available to primary and post-primary teachers working in Department of Education and Science recognised schools and those employed in related education agencies.